The Red Lion and the White Horse: Inns used by Patronized Performers in Norwich, 1583-1624
Two Norwich inns, the Red Lion and the White Horse, are known to have been used by patronised performers between 1583 and 1624. The non-theatrical documentary and material records presented here elucidate the inns’ locations, functions, and dimensions; ownership, status in the community, and relationship to the city government; popularity as performance venues; and fates in later centuries. At their heights, the inns were respectable, lucrative, reliable venues, well managed, well appointed, and individually stable for decades. They represent what was likely a thriving and long-lasting entertainment industry, supported by city government but operating outside official civic auspices.
Contributors to Early Theatre retain full copyright to their content. All published authors are required to grant a limited exclusive license to the journal. According to the terms of this license, authors agree that for one year following publication in Early Theatre, they will not publish their submission elsewhere in the same form, in any language, without the consent of the journal, and without acknowledgment of its initial publication in the journal thereafter.