Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- I have filled out the optional Early Theatre Author Survey designed to support contributors during the submission, review, and production stages, or do not need to complete it.
- I have removed all information about my identity (and the identities of co-authors, if relevant) from the submission's content, or in the case of book reviews, this information does not need to be removed.
I have removed information about my identity (and that of co-authors, if relevant) from the submission's file properties, or in the case of book reviews, thie information does not need to be removed:
Microsoft Word for Windows: Go to File > Select Info > Click on Check for Issues > Click on Inspect Document > In the Document Inspector dialog box, select the check boxes to choose the type of hidden content that you want inspected > Click Remove All > Click Close > Save the document.
Microsoft Word for MacOS: > Go to Tools > Click Protect Document > Select Remove personal information for this file on save > Click OK and save the file
- I have included my ORCID iD (and those of co-authors if relevant) in the 'Public' tab for the submission. (If authors do not already have an ORCID iD, they may register for free here. The process is almost instantaneous.)
- If my submission is an article, note, or Issues in Review essay, I have included an abstract of 100 words maximum. If my submission is a book review or review essay, I have included a one-sentence abstract (eg. 'This review considers Y [title of the book you are reviewing]' or 'This review essay discusses X [general topic]').
- My submission uses Canadian spelling, favouring 'ize' over 'ise', as is usually the case in the Oxford English Dictionary. (Please check that dictionary if in doubt.)
- My submission uses end-notes (or in the case of certain book reviews, no notes are included). Please refer to our Style Sheet for examples. End-notes cite Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) where available.
- If my submission includes transcriptions from manuscripts, these transcriptions follow REED guidelines. Please consult the Paleography Guide.
- I have submitted any charts/illustrations as separate files. Within the text, phrases such as 'See figure 1' direct readers to the correct illustrative material.
- I (and if relevant, my co-authors) agree to obtain necessary permissions for all image reproductions prior to publication.
I (and my co-authors if relevant) attest and warrant that:
(a) the submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration;
(b) the submission does not contain any libel or unlawful statements or defamatory material or content, and does not infringe any existing third party copyright, moral right, or other intellectual property rights;
(c) the submission is not in violation of any rights of privacy or any other rights of third persons; and
(d) the submission is the original work of the author.
The author agrees to hold harmless Early Theatre's editorial team, McMaster University, Board of Governors, officers, agents, employees, students, agents, licensees, volunteers, and subcontractors, from any claim, action, or proceeding alleging facts that constitute a breach of any warranty enumerated in this paragraph.
Contributors to Early Theatre retain full copyright to their content. All published authors are required to grant a limited exclusive license to the journal. According to the terms of this license, authors agree that for one year following publication in Early Theatre, they will not publish their submission elsewhere in the same form, in any language, without the consent of the journal, and without acknowledgment of its initial publication in the journal thereafter.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.